THE CHALLENGE

For several years I have been attracted by the idea of sailing the Nancy back to Plockton from the Clyde. I know that this is not a task to be taken lightly as it involves sailing some of the wildest and most exposed waters in Europe, through the Dorus Mor with its swirling tides, past the awesome Corriebhreachan with its standing waves and whirlpool, and the rounding of the most westerly headland in mainland Britain, Ardnamurchan. The last leg through the strong tides of Kyle Rhea and Kyleakin in contrast seem almost benign. To achieve this gaol I have to give the boat and rig a good overhaul and upgrade her buoyancy and safety aids and she is now ready.

THE INSPIRATION

Having followed Eddie Izzard and his incredible achievement of doing 45 consecutive marathons 49 days I was inspired and decided that if I was going to make this voyage the least I could do was to raise some money for a needy cause such as Sport Aid.